Caramelized Pearl Onions
I came up with this savory side on a whim one Christmas when my mother and I craved a vegetable side dish a little different than our usual Brussels sprouts. We all liked it so much that it now makes a regular appearance on the holiday table. —Erika Szymanski, Pullman, Washington
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 pound pearl onions, peeled
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh dill
- In a large skillet, cook onions in oil over medium heat for 8-10
- minutes or until browned. Stir in the wine, vinegars, pepper, salt
- and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for
- 12-15 minutes or until onions are tender and liquid is evaporated.
- Stir in pomegranate seeds and dill; heat through. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup equals 41 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 62 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet