I came up with this savory side on a whim one Christmas when my mother and I craved a vegetable side dish a little different than our usual Brussels sprouts. We all liked it so much that it now makes a regular appearance on the holiday table. —Erika Szymanski, Pullman, Washington
Featured In: 95 Tasty Low-Carb Dinner Ideas
- 1 pound pearl onions, peeled
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh dill
- In a large skillet, cook onions in oil over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until browned. Stir in the wine, vinegars, pepper, salt and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until onions are tender and liquid is evaporated. Stir in pomegranate seeds and dill; heat through. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Caramelized Pearl Onions in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p52
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Caramelized Pearl Onions
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review