Caramelized Pear Strudel Recipe
This is an easy and stylish dessert that's sure to please everyone. Best served warm, the holiday treat is delicious with a scoop of light vanilla ice cream or reduced-fat whipped topping on the side. —Leah Beatty of Cobourg, Ontario
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 large pears, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add pears and cranberries; toss gently to coat. In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add fruit mixture; cook and stir for 7-8 minutes or until cranberries pop. Stir in dried cranberries, ginger, orange peel and cinnamon. Cool.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat the foil with cooking spray; set aside. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; coat with cooking spray. Repeat layers five times. (Keep phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel until ready to use each sheet.)
- 3. Spread cranberry mixture over dough to within 1 in. of edges. Fold in sides. Roll up, starting at a long side. Place seam side down on prepared baking sheet.
- 4. Bake 20-23 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
1 slice equals 139 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Caramelized Pear Strudel
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC