Caramelized Pear Strudel Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 large pears, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add pears and cranberries; toss gently to coat. In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add fruit mixture; cook and stir for 7-8 minutes or until cranberries pop. Stir in dried cranberries, ginger, orange peel and cinnamon. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat the foil with cooking spray; set aside. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; coat with cooking spray. Repeat layers five times. (Keep phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel until ready to use each sheet.)
- Spread cranberry mixture over dough to within 1 in. of edges. Fold in sides. Roll up, starting at a long side. Place seam side down on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 20-23 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Caramelized Pear Strudel in Light & Tasty December/January 2006, p23
Reviews for Caramelized Pear Strudel
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 12, 2011
This is delicious. My family loves it.
Reviewed Mar. 11, 2011
This was too easy - yet very elegant. I used butter flavored spray for richer taste. I sprinkled candied ginger over top before service. Especially good with lowfat Ice Cream
Reviewed Oct. 14, 2010