Caramelized Onions in Mashed Potatoes Recipe
My husband came up with this recipe, and it is so delicious. The sweet onions, rich cream cheese and mashed potatoes make an irresistible trio. —Kristy McClellan, Phoenix, Arizona
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; add seasoned salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add onion; cook until slightly softened. Sprinkle with brown sugar; cook until brown sugar is bubbly and onion is tender.
- 3. Drain potatoes; transfer to a large bowl. Add the sour cream, half-and-half, cream cheese, salt, pepper, cayenne and remaining butter; mash until smooth. Stir in the onion mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 313 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 275 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Caramelized Onions in Mashed Potatoes
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC