My husband came up with this recipe, and it is so delicious. The sweet onions, rich cream cheese and mashed potatoes make an irresistible trio. —Kristy McClellan, Phoenix, Arizona
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; add seasoned salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add onion; cook until slightly softened. Sprinkle with brown sugar; cook until brown sugar is bubbly and onion is tender.
- Drain potatoes; transfer to a large bowl. Add the sour cream, half-and-half, cream cheese, salt, pepper, cayenne and remaining butter; mash until smooth. Stir in the onion mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Caramelized Onions in Mashed Potatoes in Country February/March 2009, p49
Reviews for Caramelized Onions in Mashed Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review