Caramelized Onions and Beets
As retired farmers, my husband and I enjoy delicious, down-home foods. These onions and beets have just the right amount of sweetness, so they complement a variety of main dishes.—Violet Klause, Onoway, Alberta
12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 4 pounds whole fresh beets (about 12 medium), trimmed and cleaned
- 6 medium onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place beets in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover
- and cook for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup
- cooking liquid; cool slightly. Peel and quarter beets; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender;
- add sugar and vinegar. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15-20
- minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the beets, salt, pepper and reserved cooking liquid to skillet;
- cover and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 95 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 258 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch,