Caramelized Onions and Beets Recipe
- 4 pounds whole fresh beets (about 12 medium), trimmed and cleaned
- 6 medium onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place beets in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover and cook for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid; cool slightly. Peel and quarter beets; set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender; add sugar and vinegar. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- 3. Add the beets, salt, pepper and reserved cooking liquid to skillet; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
2/3 cup equals 95 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 258 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Caramelized Onions and Beets
"What an outstanding way to serve beets! We loved the sweet flavor and I look forward to making this recipe again and again!"
"The absolute best beet recipe! I have made this once a week all summer."
"great way to cook beets!!!!"