Caramelized Onion-Tortellini Spinach Salad Recipe
Tender tortellini pairs well with crunchy fresh spinach in this innovative salad from our Test Kitchen home economists. Caramelized onions add flavorful element.
- 4 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 package (19 ounces) frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, stems removed and torn
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook onions in butter and oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Add brown sugar; cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, cook tortellini according to package directions.
- 2. Add the vinegar, salt and pepper to onion mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until syrupy.
- 3. Drain tortellini and rinse in cold water. In a large serving bowl, combine the tortellini, spinach and Parmesan cheese. Add onion mixture and toss to coat. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 185 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 252 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC