Caramelized Onion Topping
The choices are endless...serve this as a topping for sandwiches or burgers, brats or hot dogs as well as steak.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 cups thinly sliced onions (about 4 large)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onions
- and sprinkle with salt. Cook and stir for 15 minutes or until
- moisture from onions has evaporated and onions are completely
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Sprinkle vinegar over onions. Cook and
- stir for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Stir in brown sugar;
- cook and stir for 15-20 minutes longer or until onions are a caramel
- brown color.
- If onions begin to stick to skillet, add water, 1 tablespoon at a
- time, until onions no longer stick to skillet. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup equals 81 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 104 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.