Caramelized Onion Topping Recipe
The choices are endless...serve this as a topping for sandwiches or burgers, brats or hot dogs as well as steak.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 cups thinly sliced onions (about 4 large)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onions and sprinkle with salt. Cook and stir for 15 minutes or until moisture from onions has evaporated and onions are completely wilted.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium-low. Sprinkle vinegar over onions. Cook and stir for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Stir in brown sugar; cook and stir for 15-20 minutes longer or until onions are a caramel brown color.
- 3. If onions begin to stick to skillet, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until onions no longer stick to skillet. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
1/4 cup equals 81 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 104 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Caramelized Onion Topping
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC