- 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 cups thinly sliced onions (about 4 large)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onions and sprinkle with salt. Cook and stir for 15 minutes or until moisture from onions has evaporated and onions are completely wilted.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Sprinkle vinegar over onions. Cook and stir for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Stir in brown sugar; cook and stir for 15-20 minutes longer or until onions are a caramel brown color.
- If onions begin to stick to skillet, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until onions no longer stick to skillet. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Caramelized Onions in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2006, p334
Reviews for Caramelized Onion Topping
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 10, 2011
Terrific and will definitely make again. Used 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp canola oil, the rest as is. Take the time to cook these right, they are worth the effort. Easy too. Yum, yum.....