- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 8 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onions and sugar. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until the onions are golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese.
- Melt remaining butter. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter. Brush to distribute evenly. Repeat with a second sheet; brush with butter. Cut into 12 squares. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent drying.) Repeat three times, making 48 squares.
- Press one square into a greased miniature muffin cup. Top with another square of phyllo, placing corners off center. Spoon about 1 tablespoon onion mixture into cup. Repeat with remaining phyllo squares and onion mixture. Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Caramelized Onion Tartlets
"These are one of my favorite go-to appetizers when I throw a fun party. It's quick and easy, but looks like you slaved away in the kitchen all day!"
"I made these for the first time last weekend and will definitley make again. I did not enjoy working with the Phyllo Dough so I am going to try them with Won Ton Wrappers which will also add a little more crunch!"
"These are super-tasty, and always a huge hit at any event."