Caramelized Onion Tart Recipe
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds sweet onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup minced fresh basil
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb. Brush with 1 tablespoon oil. Wrap bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook onions and vinegar in remaining oil over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- Cool the garlic for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a food processor; add the flour, butter and salt. Cover and process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 11-in. fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the goat cheese, eggs, parsley, salt and pepper; cover and process until blended. Sprinkle 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese into crust; top with basil. Spread goat cheese mixture into crust.
- Arrange onions over top; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until set. Yield: 16 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Caramelized Onion Tart(1)
Sort By :
Although I gave this a low rating, it has promise. I felt the goat cheese overpowered the wonderful flavors of the carmelized onions, garlic-y crust and herbs used. I might try 1/2 lowfat cream cheese with the goat cheese to tone it down and let the other flavors come out a bit more and cut the incredible richness of this dish.
More Recipe Collections
- Appetizers >
- Baking Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Easter Appetizers >
- Easter Recipes >
- Finger Food Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Holiday Finger Foods >
- Hors d'oeuvre Recipes >
- Hot Appetizer Recipes >
- Hot Finger Food Recipes >