Our taste panel just raved about this creamy low-fat spinach dip from Corrine Rupp in Statesville, North Carolina. Richly caramelized sweet onions and a hint of wine make for a decadently delicious appetizer—but this one’s guilt-free!
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups (16 ounces) fat-free sour cream
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Tortilla chips
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion in oil over medium heat for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 3 minutes longer.
- Stir in broth and wine or additional broth. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 25-30 minutes or until onions are golden brown and liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a bowl. Stir in the sour cream, spinach and salt. Serve with tortilla chips. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Caramelized Onion Spinach Dip in Light & Tasty April/May 2007, p47
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Caramelized Onion Spinach Dip
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review