Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Caramelized onions give a sweet and savory taste to this side dish from our Test Kitchen. Prepared with red potatoes, reduced-fat cheese and bacon, it makes a heartwarming accompaniment to any main course.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds medium red potatoes, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir for 15 minutes or until moisture has evaporated and onions are completely wilted. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook and stir for 30-40 minutes or until onions are caramelized. (If necessary, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if onions begin to stick to the pan.)
- 2. Meanwhile, place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 18-22 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Drain potatoes; place in a large bowl and mash. Add the sour cream, milk, pepper and remaining salt; mash until blended. Stir in caramelized onions. Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle with butter; sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup equals 200 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 528 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC