- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds medium red potatoes, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir for 15 minutes or until moisture has evaporated and onions are completely wilted. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook and stir for 30-40 minutes or until onions are caramelized. (If necessary, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if onions begin to stick to the pan.)
- Meanwhile, place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 18-22 minutes or until tender.
- Drain potatoes; place in a large bowl and mash. Add the sour cream, milk, pepper and remaining salt; mash until blended. Stir in caramelized onions. Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle with butter; sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes
Sort By :
Awesome recipe! I had nothing left over from the meal. Thank you for the delicious recipe!
This was good, but caramelizing the onion and cooking the bacon took more time than we thought it was worth. We would have been just fine with gravy instead of all the fancy toppings.
Delicious! I prepared this dish two nights ago and my 8 year old is still raving about it! And the fact that its lower in fat is just icing on the cake!
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Mashed Potato Recipes >