Caramelized Onion Jam Recipe
- 4 whole garlic bulbs
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 5 cups chopped sweet onions (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup bottled lemon juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 pouch (3 ounces) liquid fruit pectin
- 1. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic bulbs; brush with oil. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool 10-15 minutes.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Squeeze softened garlic into pan. Stir in cider vinegar, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, ginger and cloves. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in sugar. Return to a boil for 3 minutes. Stir in pectin. Continue to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 3. Remove from heat; let stand for 3 minutes. Skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into three hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 4. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: about 3-1/2 pints.
2 tablespoon: 103 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein .
Reviews for Caramelized Onion Jam
"I thought this was too sweet! I was hoping for something a little more on the savory side. I will made again with a lot less sugar."
"Super yummy..... My whole family loves it... I am makeing it agian next weekend. AND... will make it for my Christmas baskets.."
"Love this jam! I put some on Brie and baked it -- outstanding. It's great on cream cheese also."