Caramelized Onion Jam Recipe
- 4 whole garlic bulbs
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 5 cups chopped sweet onions (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup bottled lemon juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 pouch (3 ounces) liquid fruit pectin
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic bulbs; brush with oil. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Squeeze softened garlic into pan. Stir in the cider vinegar, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, ginger and cloves. Bring to a rolling boil. Gradually add sugar, stirring constantly. Return to a boil for 3 minutes.
- Add pectin; bring to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; let stand for 3 minutes. Skim off foam. Pour hot mixture into hot jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath. Yield: about 3-1/2 pints.
Reviews for Caramelized Onion Jam(3)
Sort By :
I thought this was too sweet! I was hoping for something a little more on the savory side. I will made again with a lot less sugar.
Super yummy..... My whole family loves it... I am makeing it agian next weekend. AND... will make it for my Christmas baskets..
Love this jam! I put some on Brie and baked it -- outstanding. It's great on cream cheese also.