Caramelized Onion-Gorgonzola Pizza Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pitted Greek olives, chopped
- 1. Divide bread dough in half. Press each portion onto a 12-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray; build up edges slightly. Prick dough several times with a fork. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter with brown sugar. Add onions; cook for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Brush dough with oil. Combine the basil, oregano and garlic powder; sprinkle over dough. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes.
- 4. Arrange onions and tomatoes over crusts; sprinkle with cheeses and olives. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 2 pizzas (6 slices each).
1 slice equals 236 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 427 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat.
Reviews for Caramelized Onion-Gorgonzola Pizza
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.