Caramelized Onion-Gorgonzola Pizza Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pitted Greek olives, chopped
- 1. Divide bread dough in half. Press each portion onto a 12-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray; build up edges slightly. Prick dough several times with a fork. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter with brown sugar. Add onions; cook for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Brush dough with oil. Combine the basil, oregano and garlic powder; sprinkle over dough. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes.
- 4. Arrange onions and tomatoes over crusts; sprinkle with cheeses and olives. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 2 pizzas (6 slices each).
1 each: 236 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 427mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Reviews for Caramelized Onion-Gorgonzola Pizza
"Instead of frozen bread dough I used fresh wheat dough. Absolutely delicious, the flavor in this is incredible!!"
"This is so good we have to double the recipe so we can have left overs. We cook it on pizza stones until the crust is crisp. The gargonzola is a great accent, but don't overdue it, a little goes a long way."
"An all-time favorite recipe, Caramelized Onion-Gorgonzola Pizza is yummy and so simple to prepare.View this recipe now"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.