- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pitted Greek olives, chopped
- Divide bread dough in half. Press each portion onto a 12-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray; build up edges slightly. Prick dough several times with a fork. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter with brown sugar. Add onions; cook for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Brush dough with oil. Combine the basil, oregano and garlic powder; sprinkle over dough. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes.
- Arrange onions and tomatoes over crusts; sprinkle with cheeses and olives. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 2 pizzas (6 slices each).
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Caramelized Onion-Gorgonzola Pizza
Sort By :
Instead of frozen bread dough I used fresh wheat dough. Absolutely delicious, the flavor in this is incredible!!
This is so good we have to double the recipe so we can have left overs. We cook it on pizza stones until the crust is crisp. The gargonzola is a great accent, but don't overdue it, a little goes a long way.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Appetizer Pizza Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Appetizers >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Finger Food Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Hors d'oeuvre Recipes >
- Italian Appetizers >
- Italian Bread Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Appetizers >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Party Appetizers >
- Potluck Appetizers >
- Potluck Recipes >