Caramelized Onion Chuck Roast Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup beer or beef broth
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 pounds), trimmed
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large sweet onions, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; set aside. Sprinkle roast with onion salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Place onions and roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker; pour beer mixture over top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove roast and onions and keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer 2 cups to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Serve with half of the roast and onions. Save the remaining roast, onions and cooking juices for Vegetable Beef & Barley Soup (recipe also in Recipe Finder) or save for another use. Yield: 4 servings plus leftovers.
4 ounces cooked beef with 1/4 cup onions and 1/2 cup gravy equals 488 calories, 23 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 147 mg cholesterol, 523 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 46 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.