Caramelized Onion Breadsticks Recipe
I'm a sixth grade special education teacher with little time on my hands. These easy-to-make breadsticks go well with my hearty vegetable beef soup.—Jennifer Bermingham, Shillington, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:18 servings
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook onion in 4 tablespoons butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Add sugar; cook over low heat for 30-40 minutes longer or until onion is golden brown, stirring frequently.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll bread dough into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spoon onion mixture lengthwise over half of the dough; fold plain half of dough over onion mixture. Cut into eighteen 1-in. strips. Twist each strip twice; pinch ends to seal.
- 3. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Melt the remaining butter; brush over breadsticks. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 breadstick equals 108 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 168 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC