Caramelized Onion Breadsticks
I'm a sixth grade special education teacher with little time on my hands. These easy-to-make breadsticks go well with my hearty vegetable beef soup.Jennifer Bermingham, Shillington, Pennsylvania
18 ServingsPrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook onion in 4 tablespoons
- butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Add sugar; cook over low heat
- for 30-40 minutes longer or until onion is golden brown, stirring
- On a lightly floured surface, roll bread dough into an 18-in. x
- 12-in. rectangle. Spoon onion mixture lengthwise over half of the
- dough; fold plain half of dough over onion mixture. Cut into
- eighteen 1-in. strips. Twist each strip twice; pinch ends to seal.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Melt the remaining
- butter; brush over breadsticks. Cover and let rise in a warm place
- until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve
- warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 breadstick equals 108 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 168 mg sodium,