- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook onion in 4 tablespoons butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Add sugar; cook over low heat for 30-40 minutes longer or until onion is golden brown, stirring frequently.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll bread dough into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spoon onion mixture lengthwise over half of the dough; fold plain half of dough over onion mixture. Cut into eighteen 1-in. strips. Twist each strip twice; pinch ends to seal.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Melt the remaining butter; brush over breadsticks. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Caramelized Onion Breadsticks in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008 , p13
Reviews for Caramelized Onion Breadsticks
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review