Caramelized Onion & Garlic Pasta Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked angel hair pasta
- 9 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- 1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add the onions, pepper flakes and salt; saute until onions are tender. Stir in garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30-40 minutes or until onions are deep golden brown.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, vinegar and 2 tablespoons oil to the skillet. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta; toss with onion mixture.
- 3. Drizzle with remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with bacon, cheese, and pepper; heat through. Garnish with basil if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 574 calories, 24 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 495 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.