Caramelized Onion & Fig Pizza Recipe
This is a sensational variation on traditional pizza. It is creamy, sweet and a little salty. The buttery crunch of the pine nuts make a wonderful taste accent. I like to serve it with mixed baby greens salad and a vinaigrette.Connie Balbach, Bemidji, Minnesota
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 ounces dried figs, chopped
- 6 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham, chopped
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30-35 minutes or until deep golden brown. Add garlic and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- Unroll crust into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; flatten dough and build up edges slightly. Bake at 425° for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, thyme and remaining oil until blended. Spread over crust. Top with onion mixture, figs, prosciutto and nuts; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 6-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Caramelized Onion & Fig Pizza in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p98
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Caramelized Onion & Fig Pizza(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Appetizer Pizza Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Baked Ham >
- Baking Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Finger Food Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Hors d'oeuvre Recipes >
- Hot Appetizer Recipes >
- Hot Finger Food Recipes >
- Low Fat Appetizers >