This is a sensational variation on traditional pizza. It's creamy, sweet and a little salty, with a buttery crunch from the pine nuts. I like to serve it with mixed baby greens salad and a vinaigrette. —Connie Balbach, Bemidji, Minnesota
Featured In: Fig Recipes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup dried figs (about 6 ounces), chopped
- 6 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham, chopped
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 30-35 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Unroll and press dough onto bottom and up sides of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, thyme and remaining oil until blended. Spread over crust. Top with caramelized onion, figs, prosciutto and pine nuts; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 6-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Caramelized Onion & Fig Pizza in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p98
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Caramelized Onion & Fig Pizza
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review