Caramelized Onion & Cheese Pastries Recipe
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 32 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in the paprika, salt, thyme and pepper. Remove from the heat; cool. Stir in Swiss cheese.
- 2. Lightly brush one sheet of phyllo dough with some of the melted butter; place another sheet of phyllo on top and brush with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- 3. Cut the two layered sheets into three 14-in. x 3-in. strips. Place 1 teaspoon of onion mixture on lower corner of each strip. Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle. Fold triangle up, then fold triangle over, forming another triangle. Continue folding, like a flag, until you come to the end of the strip. Brush end of dough with butter and press onto triangle to seal. Turn triangle and brush top with melted butter. Repeat with remaining strips of dough and with remaining sheets of phyllo and onion mixture.
- 4. Place triangles on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 appetizer: 64 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Caramelized Onion & Cheese Pastries
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.