Caramelized Mushroom and Onion Frittata Recipe
When I was young, my grandmother used to make me buttery sauteed mushrooms. Now I enjoy them in a hearty breakfast frittata.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 eggs
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter and oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add shallot and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Reduce heat; sprinkle with cheeses. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, salt and pepper; pour over top. Cover and cook for 4-6 minutes or until eggs are nearly set.
- 3. Uncover skillet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until eggs are completely set. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges. Yield: 4 servings.
1 wedge equals 465 calories, 38 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 479 mg cholesterol, 529 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC