When I was young, my grandmother used to make me buttery sauteed mushrooms. Now I enjoy them in a hearty breakfast frittata.
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 eggs
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter and oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add shallot and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Reduce heat; sprinkle with cheeses. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, salt and pepper; pour over top. Cover and cook for 4-6 minutes or until eggs are nearly set.
- Uncover skillet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until eggs are completely set. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Caramelized Mushroom and Onion Frittata in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2012, p25
Reviews for Caramelized Mushroom and Onion Frittata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review