- 1 package (12 ounces) Hawaiian sweet rolls, split
- 1/2 cup horseradish sauce
- 12 slices deli ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese, halved
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Spread roll bottoms with horseradish sauce. Layer with ham and cheese; replace tops. Arrange in a single layer in a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- In a small skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour over rolls. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, covered, 25 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Caramelized Ham & Swiss Buns
"Seriously? No wonder this country is obese. 280 calories per sandwich? 17 G of fat? 21 G of carbs? Wow I'll pass!"
"This was good, but would have been better without the horse radish. I would try mayo next time."
"Made this for the superbowl party. While the flavor is delicious, they were sort of messy to eat. They were't a huge hit, but they were tasty."
"This is an easy and delicious recipe. I did not have Hawaiian buns, so I used regular slider buns. I don't like spicy, so I used Honey Mustard instead of the horseradish sauce."
"Every time I try a new recipe I make it exactly as shown. The next time I tweak. With this recipe there is nothing to tweak! It is delicious as is. I made it as a snack at Christmas and everyone loved it! I ate 3 as a snack! Love finding recipes I can keep forever."
"My family loves these! I make up a batch and then freeze them in packages of two. That way we always have them on hand for a quick sandwich. Super good!!!!"
"Been making these for YEARS !!! WE have always known them as OVEN SAMMIES !!! Family loves them and nice to have on hand when someone heads out the door so they can grab 1 or 2 ! Hubby likes when I make these and he is doing yard work or other chores comes in for a break and has a couple !"
"These were ok. Couldn't really taste the main ingredients with all the highly flavored condiments and for some reason mine came out very soggy...ick."
"Ugh! Black forest ham with a good aged swiss cheese should be left to enjoy on your favorite bread. Caramelized everything else over powered the ham and cheese. Too sweet and greasy. High in calories, time-consuming and costly. A very poor use of poppy seeds."