Caramelized Grapefruit Salad Recipe
Grapefruit segments are treated to a slight caramelization in a hot skillet just before topping this colorful salad. It’s finished with a light honey mustard dressing, bacon and avocado. —Maria Davis, Flower Mound, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1/3 cup pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 medium grapefruit, peeled and cut into segments
- 4 cups spring mix salad greens
- 3/4 cup chopped cucumber
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat honey mustard salad dressing
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1. In a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook and stir pecans and 2 tablespoons sugar for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- 2. Coat grapefruit segments with remaining sugar. Coat the same skillet with cooking spray; cook grapefruit over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the salad greens, cucumber, onions, avocado and bacon. Drizzle with salad dressing and toss to coat.
- 4. Divide salad among four serving plates. Top with grapefruit and pecans; sprinkle with pepper. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 249 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 199 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC