Caramelized French Onion Soup
Carmelized onions give a touch of sweetness to this popular soup, topped with toasted cheese bread. "It’s an easy version of an updated classic," says Pat Stevens from Granbury, Texas.
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/3 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon white wine or water
- Coarsely ground pepper to taste
- 2 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Sprinkle with
- sugar and Worcestershire sauce; cook and stir for 13-15 minutes or
- until onion is caramelized.
- Add the broth, wine or water and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat
- until toasted. Turn; sprinkle with cheeses. Broil until cheese is
- melted and bubbly. Ladle soup into bowls; top with toast. Yield: 2
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/4 cups equals 272 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 960 mg sodium,