Caramelized French Onion Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/3 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon white wine or water
- Coarsely ground pepper to taste
- 2 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Sprinkle with sugar and Worcestershire sauce; cook and stir for 13-15 minutes or until onion is caramelized.
- 2. Add the broth, wine or water and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3. Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat until toasted. Turn; sprinkle with cheeses. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. Ladle soup into bowls; top with toast. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 272 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 960 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.