Caramelized Fennel Tarts Recipe
Fennel is a favorite of mine, no matter how it’s cooked, but I think it is really amazing sauteed until rich and golden, then baked on delicious puff pastry. I’ve served these as a side dish and an appetizer.—Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1. In a large skillet, saute fennel in oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in the thyme, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- 2. Unfold each puff pastry sheet onto an ungreased baking sheet. Using a knife, score 1 in. from the edges of each pastry. Spread fennel mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cut each tart into 12 pieces. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 piece equals 116 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 102 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC