- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Irish cream liqueur
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a saucepan, heat cream and liqueur until bubbles form around sides of pan; remove from heat. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar until blended but not foamy. Slowly stir in hot cream mixture. Stir in vanilla.
- Place six 6-oz. broiler-safe ramekins in a baking pan large enough to hold them without touching. Pour cream mixture into ramekins. Place pan on oven rack; add very hot water to pan to within 1/2 in. of top of ramekins.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean; centers will still be soft. Immediately remove ramekins from water bath to a wire rack; cool 10 minutes. Refrigerate until cold.
- To caramelize topping with a kitchen torch, sprinkle custards evenly with remaining sugar. Hold torch flame about 2 in. above custard surface and rotate it slowly until sugar is evenly caramelized. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 hour.
- To caramelize topping in a broiler, place ramekins on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Preheat broiler. Sprinkle custards evenly with remaining sugar. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 5-7 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 hour. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Caramelized Baked Custards
Sort By :
This custard is the best! My boys loved crime brûlée but they love this even better. Very easy to make! Now to share this with my co-workers who love creme brûlée as well. Thanks for a simple recipe and not to complex. By the way I didn't use the liquor and it didn't change the taste.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Custard >
- Custard Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Irish Desserts >
- Irish Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- St. Patrick's Day Desserts >
- St. Patrick's Day Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Desserts >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Egg Recipes >