Caramelized apples are tucked in a hand-held pie that no one expects you to share! — Edwina Gadsby, Hayden, Idaho
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1/4 cup coarse sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add apples; cook and stir 5 minutes. Mix brown sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon; add to apples. Cook and stir 7-8 minutes longer or until apples begin to soften and caramelize. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry sheets. Roll to 1/8-in. thickness; cut four 5-in. circles from each sheet. Place about 3 tablespoons filling on one half of each circle. Moisten pastry edges with water. Fold pastry over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal or, if desired, pinch edges to seal and flute.
- Transfer to greased baking sheets. Prick tops of pastry with a fork. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
- For topping, mix sugar and cinnamon. Brush pies with melted butter; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature. If desired, top with ice cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Caramelized Apple Hand Pies in Taste of Home April/May 2013
Reviews for Caramelized Apple Hand Pies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review