- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in butter and mix well.
- Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Combine caramel topping and remaining flour until blended; drizzle over chips. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake 20-22 minutes longer or until bubbly. Cool completely; cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Caramelitas
"I actually recall preparing this recipe when it came out in what was quick Cooking. I decided to make these bars again! I did make adjustments to the recipe by using 1/4 cup butter and 1/2 cup margarine. I'd omitted the nuts. I also used chocolate chunks for a change this time instead of chocolate chips. I'd also used LESS caramel topping, but did add 1 Tbsp. flour to 1/2 cup caramel topping for this recipe. I greased and floured my baking pan. I was able to cut the bars after they'd cooled. I found these bars to taste good-I'd taken them to the Nutrition Dept. at the hospital & also to the Volunteer Resources Dept. today. The people who tested them really liked these bars! When I sampled the bars which I'd cut, they WERE chewy! I got about 2 dozen bars, depending on how large the bars/squares are cut! Try dipping a sharp knife in hot water to cut these bars! I WILL say that they WERE also ON the sticky side! But I'd also used LESS caramel topping in order to conserve the amount I had available. delowenstein"
"These are excellent! I love making them in the fall!"
"We didn't really like these. I baked for 20 min, just as the recipe said, but they seemed way over baked. They just weren't anything special."
"This was a huge hit with my family during the holidays! You can't eat just one!"
"These are excellent - they taste like a candy bar! I used chopped pecans instead of the walnuts - super!!"