- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in butter and mix well.
- Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Combine caramel topping and remaining flour until blended; drizzle over chips. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake 20-22 minutes longer or until bubbly. Cool completely; cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Caramelitas
Sort By :
"I actually recall preparing this recipe when it came out in what was Quick Cooking. I decided to make these bars again! I did make adjustments to the recipe by using 1/4 cup butter and 1/2 cup margarine. I'd omitted the nuts. I also used chocolate chunks for a change this time instead of chocolate chips. I'd also used LESS caramel topping, but did add 1 Tbsp. flour to 1/2 cup caramel topping for this recipe. I greased and floured my baking pan. I was able to cut the bars after they'd cooled. I found these bars to taste good-I'd taken them to the Nutrition Dept. at the hospital & also to the Volunteer Resources Dept. today. The people who tested them really liked these bars! When I sampled the bars which I'd cut, they WERE chewy! I got about 2 dozen bars, depending on how large the bars/squares are cut! Try dipping a sharp knife in hot water to cut these bars! I WILL say that they WERE also ON the sticky side! But I'd also used LESS caramel topping in order to conserve the amount I had available. delowenstein"
"These are excellent! I love making them in the fall!"
"We didn't really like these. I baked for 20 min, just as the recipe said, but they seemed way over baked. They just weren't anything special."
"These were very greasy and there were too many chocolate chips. I couldn't taste the caramel at all. If I were to make these again, I would try decreasing the butter and chocolate chips to 1/2 cup each."
"This was a huge hit with my family during the holidays! You can't eat just one!"