Caramel-Walnut Star Cookies Recipe
These cookies will shine brightly on any dessert tray. In fact, the first time I sample these crisp, buttery stars was at a potluck, and I spent the evening tracking down the person who brought them. I did succeed in obtaining the recipe, and have made them every Christmas since then.—Sandy Topalof, North Royalton, Ohio
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 24 walnut halves
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and vanilla, then walnuts.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. star-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Press a walnut half in the center of each. Bake 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. Spread bottoms of cookies with melted chocolate. Place chocolate side up on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until set.
- 4. For glaze, in a small saucepan, bring brown sugar and butter to a boil. Cook and stir 30 seconds. Remove from the heat; cool 5 minutes. Whisk in milk until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar. Immediately drizzle over top of cookies. Let stand until set. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 149 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 36 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Caramel-Walnut Star Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC