I love to make up recipes for foods that I am craving, such as chocolate, toffee and caramel. They came together in this brownie for one sensational treat. I frequently make these to add to care packages for family and friends.—Brenda Caughell, Durham, North Carolina
- CARAMEL LAYER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup toffee bits
- BROWNIE LAYER:
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. In a small bowl, combine caramel topping and milk; add to batter and mix well. Fold in toffee bits; set aside.
- In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate. Beat in eggs, sugar and vanilla; gradually beat in flour.
- Spread half of brownie batter into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Drop caramel batter by spoonfuls onto brownie batter; swirl to combine. Drop remaining brownie batter on top.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Caramel Toffee Brownies in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p82
Reviews for Caramel Toffee Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review