Caramel Tassies Recipe
Buttery cookie cups with a smooth caramel filling make a nice addition to a Christmas dessert tray. These are one of my family's favorites.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling YIELD:48 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Roll dough into 1-in. balls; press onto the bottom and up the sides of ungreased miniature muffin cups. Prick bottoms with a fork. Bake at 375° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 3. In a large heavy saucepan over low heat, melt caramels with milk. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Transfer to a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of the bag. Pipe filling into pastry cups. Cool to room temperature.
- 4. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat shortening and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and milk until fluffy. Pipe onto filling. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 112 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 71 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC