Caramel Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping, warmed
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup apple butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Whipped cream and additional caramel ice cream topping
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Sprinkle with walnuts and drizzle with ice cream topping. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sweet potato, apple butter, brown sugar, milk, vanilla, salt and spices until blended. Pour into pastry.
- 2. Bake at 400° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Garnish with whipped cream and additional ice cream topping. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 421 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 356mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein .
Reviews for Caramel Sweet Potato Pie
"Excellent pie! Used pecans instead of walnuts, and it came out delicious!"
"Great texture and flavor!!"
"I made this pie last night and it is EXCELLENT! Light and fluffy and the spices are just right! Unusual twist with the caramel and walnuts on the bottom. I would increase the walnuts to 3/4 cup."
"Pie was good. The taste is similar to pumpkin."