Apple butter and caramel topping give traditional sweet potato pie a deliciously whimsical twist. This is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.—Heidi Hall, North St. Paul, Minnesota
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping, warmed
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup apple butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Whipped cream and additional caramel ice cream topping
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Sprinkle with walnuts and drizzle with ice cream topping. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sweet potato, apple butter, brown sugar, milk, vanilla, salt and spices until blended. Pour into pastry.
- Bake at 400° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
- Garnish with whipped cream and additional ice cream topping. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Caramel Sweet Potato Pie in Simple & Delicious October/November 2010, p55
Reviews for Caramel Sweet Potato Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review