Caramel Sweet Potato Apple Bake
"A caramel-like sauce made with apricot nectar sets this casserole apart from ordinary sweet potato dishes," writes Gail Glende of Woodland, California. "It's great for the holidays or anytime," she assures.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 4 cups cooked sweet potato wedges
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup apricot nectar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Arrange sweet potatoes and apple slices in a greased 11-in. x 7-in.
- baking pan. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Stir in the apricot nectar, water and orange peel until blended; add
- butter. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Stir in pecans if desired. Pour over sweet potato
- mixture. Cover and bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until apples
- are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 205 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 88 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.