Caramel pudding was always a favorite in the family when I was growing up, now I enjoy making it for my family. My grandmother often cooked "from scratch", and she still does.
As you can see from this recipe, it uses a good many "on-the-farm" products, which made this tasty treat even more enjoyable—we'd get to eat the fruits of our labor!
15 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 6 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large saucepan, scald milk. Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat eggs
- until creamy. Add sugars, flour and 1-1/2 cups of the scaled milk;
- slowly pour into saucepan with remaining milk. Cook and stir over
- medium heat until pudding thickens, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from
- the heat; add vanilla and butter. Stir well. Continue to stir
- pudding every 10 minutes until cooled. Yield: 15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 221 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 85 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.