Caramel Pretzel Sticks Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) pretzel rods
- 6 to 12 ounces white candy coating
- 6 to 12 ounces milk chocolate candy coating
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and butter. Bring just to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue boiling, without stirring, at a moderate-steady rate for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in milk. Return to the heat. Reduce to medium-low; cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 245° (firm-ball stage). Keep warm.
- Pour 2 cups caramel mixture into a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Quickly dip each pretzel halfway into caramel. Allow excess to drip off. Place on well-buttered baking sheets; let stand until hardened.
- In a microwave, melt white candy coating; stir until smooth. Dip half of the caramel-coated pretzels into coating. Melt milk chocolate coating; dip remaining pretzels. Drizzle white-coated pretzels with milk chocolate coating; drizzle milk chocolate-coated pretzels with white coating. Sprinkle with walnuts if desired. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Caramel Pretzel Sticks
Sort By :
While this is a favorite every year. The carmel has never set up. I followed the recipe and the carmel is always to soft, I have to freeze them before dipping them. Any advice would be appreciated.
very good, make every christmas.
This recipe is requested every year at Christmas. And I agree that it makes a lot of caramel, but it is the best homemade caramel I have found!! I pour the leftover caramel into a greased jelly-roll pan and sprinkle with some coarse sea salt and let cool. Then cut unto squares and wrap them - great for gifts!
Made this recipe for a fund raiser, everyone loved them! I bought the pretzel rod container from Aldis and used all the caramel (probably 100 rods in that container).
I have made this recipe now the last 3 out of 4 yrs and now it's expected almost every year. This year I am taking the left over caramel and making turtles out of it. I was upset cause there would be so much left but hopefully this will help complete the leftover. Plus I use small rods so i can give more out since I work with nearly 35-40 other employees and everyone wants one!! These are worth the time!!