- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 4 cups pretzel sticks
- 2-1/2 cups pecan halves, toasted
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon shortening, divided
- 1/3 cup white baking chips
- Line a 13x9-in. pan with foil; grease foil with softened butter. Spread pretzels and pecans on bottom of prepared pan.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, cubed butter, corn syrup, milk and salt; cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 240°(soft-ball stage). Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour over pretzel mixture.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon shortening; stir until smooth. Spread over caramel layer. In microwave, melt baking chips and remaining shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over top. Let stand until set.
- Using foil, lift candy out of pan; remove foil. Using a buttered knife, cut candy into bite-size pieces. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews for Caramel Pretzel Bites
"You have to use an inside dimension of 10 x 15" cookie sheet & this recipe worked great! Use a candy thermomitor."
"I made these today and I followed the recipe. I used a candy thermometer until the caramel reached 240 deg. I do find the caramel stays sticky. I put them in the freezer now to see if that helps. I used parchment paper as carolsusan suggested. The caramel did stick to that so that's why they are in the freezer so I can cut them better. I let them set in the fridge prior. I did break my pretzel sticks in half and I would break them a little more next time. I also think I will cut back a little on the pretzels. Other than the caramel not being as firm as I would like ( a little gooey) these are very good and I will make them again. Oh and I melted the MILK chocolate chips. I never ever have good luck melting those for some reason and it was a sticky stiff mess that I threw out. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips instead. Semi-sweet chips melt better for me. Thank you for sharing this recipe."
"These are fantastic. The only thing I would do different is chop the pretzels up a bit. The caramel was good but tends to get sticky when left out so I have refrigerated them and take them out to let the warm up a bit before eating. Maybe putting them in a bit bigger pan or on a cookie sheet will make them thinner and the caramel not so thick. But they were delicious!!"
"These are awesome! Never made candy before so it takes a while to get the caramel to the right consistency. Would definitely make these again. I ended up freezing half for another time."
"Excellent tasting bites! However, they do take quite a while to make. Suggestion: The first time I made them I used the foil..the second time I used parchment paper...much much better!! They did not stick at all! Also, I had to add about 2 T half n half (instead of the butter) to the chocolate morsels to get them smooth enough to spread over the caramel. They are definitely a hit with friends!!! (me too!)"