Caramel Pecan Pie
“This is hands down the best pecan pie—it’s so good, it’s scary!” writes Dorothy Reinhold of Malibu, California. “I’m making it for Thanksgiving because there will be others around to share it with me.
“Here’s the trick: Toss the bag of caramels to your kid or spouse and promise they can eat whatever is left after they unwrap your 36 caramels.”
6-8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 36 caramels
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups Diamond of California Chopped Pecans, toasted
- Frozen deep-dish pie shell
- Diamond of California Pecan Halves, optional
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the caramels, water and butter.
- Cook and stir over low heat until caramels are melted. Remove from
- the heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Gradually add caramel mixture. Stir in chopped pecans. Pour into pie
- shell. If desired, arrange pecan halves over filling.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.