Caramel-Pecan Monkey Bread Recipe
The kids will get a kick out of pulling of gooey pieces of this delectable bread. It's hard to resist the caramel-coated treat. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, eggs, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. For caramel, in a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter and cream to a boil. Cook and stir 3 minutes. Pour half into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan; sprinkle with half the pecans.
- 4. Punch dough down; shape into 40 balls (about 1-1/4-in. diameter). In a shallow bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Place melted butter in another bowl. Dip balls in butter, then roll in sugar mixture.
- 5. Place 20 balls in the tube pan; top with remaining caramel and pecans. Top with remaining balls. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 6. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. (Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly.) Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (20 servings).
2 pieces equals 334 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 207 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC