Caramel Pecan Candy Recipe
Sweet and chewy, these yummy layered squares come from Dick Deacon of Lawrenceville, Georgia. “I have also made this recipe in a 9-inch pie pan and cut it very small pieces,“ says Dick. “You can’t eat very much at one time.“
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + chilling YIELD:81 servings
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 20 Oreo cookies, crushed
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 3 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large saucepan, melt 1/3 cup butter over medium heat; stir in the cookie crumbs. Press into an ungreased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake at 325° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan , melt caramels and remaining butter over low heat. Stir in the pecans. Pour over crust. Cool.
- 3. For topping, in a small saucepan, combine the chocolate chips, butter, cream and corn syrup. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour over caramel layer. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate until chocolate hardens.
- 4. Let candy stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before cutting into 1-in. squares. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 94 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC