Caramel Pear Pie Recipe
- 6 cups sliced peeled ripe pears (about 6 medium)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 18 caramels
- 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, combine pears and lemon juice. In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, tapioca, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add to pears; stir gently. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 2. Pour into pastry shell. In a small bowl, combine the oats, flour and remaining sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over pears. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan over low heat, melt caramels with milk. Stir until smooth; add pecans. Drizzle over pie. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 471 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Caramel Pear Pie
"Every pear season I get requests for this pie! The guys will even buy the caramels...I can't seem to remember them LOL"
"This is very good. If you're taking the time to make it, please slice the pear very thin and be sure they are soft before you take it out! It is too good to mess up with an easy mistake."
"This was DELICIOUS! I used Caramel topoping instead of caramels w/milk."
"Nicely spiced and delicious!"