Caramel Pear Pie Recipe
A dear friend shared the recipe for this attractive pie. The caramel drizzle and streusel topping make it almost too pretty to eat. Knowing this dessert is waiting is great motivation for our children to eat all their vegetables. -Mary Kaehler, Lodi, California
- 6 cups sliced peeled ripe pears (about 6 medium)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 18 caramels
- 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, combine pears and lemon juice. In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, tapioca, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add to pears; stir gently. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 2. Pour into pastry shell. In a small bowl, combine the oats, flour and remaining sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over pears. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan over low heat, melt caramels with milk. Stir until smooth; add pecans. Drizzle over pie. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 471 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 292 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC