Caramel Pear Pie Recipe
- 6 cups sliced peeled ripe pears (about 6 medium)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 18 caramels
- 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine pears and lemon juice. In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, tapioca, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add to pears; stir gently. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Pour into pastry shell. In a small bowl, combine the oats, flour and remaining sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over pears. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over low heat, melt caramels with milk. Stir until smooth; add pecans. Drizzle over pie. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Caramel Pear Pie
Sort By :
Every pear season I get requests for this pie! The guys will even buy the caramels...I can't seem to remember them LOL
The first time I made this pie was for a dessert auction. This beautiful pie won the highest bid award and since then I have made it several times at the request of friends.
I made this pie for a pie baking contest put on by my college last year--and I won it! I got raves and raves. Even after the judges finished testing, I went to get the remains of my pie to take home, but there were none! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!
This is very good. If you're taking the time to make it, please slice the pear very thin and be sure they are soft before you take it out! It is too good to mess up with an easy mistake.
This was DELICIOUS! I used Caramel topoping instead of caramels w/milk.