Caramel Peanut Bars Recipe
With goodies like chocolate, peanuts and caramel peeking out from between golden oat and crumb layers, these bars are very popular. They taste like candy bars but with irresistible homemade goodness. -Ardyce Piehl, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups (9 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients; stir in butter. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Press remaining mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2. In a heavy saucepan or microwave, melt caramels with cream, stirring often. Sprinkle chocolate chips and peanuts over the crust; top with caramel mixture. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 197 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 113 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC